Does anyone else have trouble going back to school after Christmas Vacation? I struggle with this every year, and I think I know why. Two weeks off is too long! Here's the thing: we have time to remember that we have a real life at home. With these people that we call our family (and whom we rarely see during the school week). We have time to reeeeeelaaaaaax.
Okay, I don't really mean this, but there is some truth here... we also know that when we walk in that door tomorrow morning we will be hit with that FEELING OF URGENCY. You know the one. Not the bathroom kind. In case you don't know what I mean, here are some examples:
- You realize that half of the year has passed, and you have not taught half of the standards.
- You remember that you only have three weeks left to schedule your yearly review.
- You can't find a lesson in the next three weeks that you actually want your Principal to watch you teach.
- You forgot to make this week's homework for your grade level.
- You never planned for this week.
- Your yard duty day is Monday, and you have no time to plan. Or make homework. Or go to the bathroom.
I could go on. And on. So here's my plan: I will take a deep breath. And go to work at six a.m. Or maybe five.